Monday 11 July 2011

JACK MEETS HIS NEW HERD

Lisa Trowse said Well I bit the bullet today so to speak. No point in putting it off. I took jack out into the large field and let him go. The herd spotted him and what followed was quite harrowing. One good thing was when they chased him, he was faster than all of them by a long shot. I had to just cringe as he turned and out in challenges. I had had a chat with him beforehand and asked him to not be too dominant but he didn't listen.

There were squeals, at times there were lots of teeth and hooves flailing, and then it seemed to calm down. He picked up one litle follower who was obviously low in the pecking order, and then for subsequent challenges he picked up more confidence to stand ground. Very very interesting to watch the seven games really unfold before my eyes. If my horse wasn't being integrated I would have enjoyed it, as it was fascinating.

After a couple of hours it was more or less back to normal. When I left he was grazing in a little clic of four. With the rest of the herd nearby. Jack will be sleeping outside at night for the first time, and is now officially out until the winter. My heart is now back in my chest and I am really glad I took the step. Even though he had a difficult afternoon, he is now chilled and I am sure he will love herd life. As for me, I need a glass of wine, and tomorrow for the first time in five weeks I am going to have a lay in :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment