Monday 11 July 2011

A RENEWED NORMALITY

Lisa Trowse said After a wonderful three days at the GOC course with Linda Parelli, I was pleased to finally have my first 'normal' day with Jack after our return from Fast Track. He is now settled nicely in the herd and is used to coming into the stable. We have made it a sweet spot bringing him to it daily for a feed, having no other expectations, giving him scratches and turning him back out.

Today he spotted me when I got to the gate, and although he didn't meet me there, he wandered up to me as I walked down to him, he was of course at the furthest point away in the field! Took him to the stable and he seemed happy to be out of the heat. His new stable is really well insulated and is lovely and cool. Whilst I groomed and checked him over, he dozed and so I sat with him whilst he caught forty winks. It was just nice to see him totally relaxed.

When he woke, I decided to show him around the new school. He was curious rather than scared and just took it slow. We wandered around playing touch it, and in the school we explored all the corners from both sides. He took a lot of interest as we went round. Then it was time to play. Really pleased my naughty LBE came out to play. He was cheeky and a bit sweet on the gate, but it was nice to be playing again.

Josette turned up and had a bit of a play. She saw a different side of jack today that she has seen before and I had to smile as he quickly changed direction when he was supposed to be maintaining gait, and when asked to change direction, he shot past.....he is so naughty!! Josette had a jumping lesson booked so couldn't play long. I played with him trying to be particular about my circles. Managed a good six laps with him focused on me rather than the outside and we quit.

Yay we are back ;0)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have just been reading through some of your posts and was interested to see that Jack is the same horsenality as my boy who I have only just this past month worked out is LBE after thinking for ages he was RBE. I am at the stage of: do I keep plugging away with him or sell him as just feel so unsafe around him (and he was born on our property so I have gotten to know him for almost 5 years and love him dearly!). Have taken him to Parelli/natural horsemanship clinics and cried every night as he was so hard to handle. At home he is confident, playful and wonderful, brilliant at liberty; but take him out of his comfort zone and watch out(even just out riding is very unpredictable). We have 5 other horses and I have never encountered such a personality!
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with Jack. Its certainly giving me some hope, especially like you, now knowing I had his horsenality wrong for so long!! All the best Narel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Narel, thank you for your comment. Only you know how far you can go with your horse. For some it is a blessing to know your horse is moving on, but this road was not for me and I had to stick it out. I so know how you feel. The tears I have cried over not knowing what to do. We hit our biggest hurdle in October 2011, which I need to blog about. but since then my leadership has shot up and we have advanced so much. I just need to test now how much by going into new environments. I have stuck to the programme and my strategies and knowledge have grown making it easier to deal with the things thrown at me. I hope you get through as all I can say is that once you have their mind, they give you so much than you ever dreamed.

    ReplyDelete